Tuesday 7 October 2014

Lamb for a week...

So, here it starts...



What better way to start my blog with a 'Mothership Lamb Roast' as Jamie Oliver would say. With a side of mega crispy baked potatoes thanks to the Roast Potato king, Heston Blumenthal.

Last week we started with Pork for a week. Which is all everyone can talk about these days. Pulled pork this & pulled pork that. But ill have to fill you in all about that another time. There is sure to be another pork dish appear on my blog.



Lamb it is this week. SO much to do with Lamb. So many cuisines...Greek, Indian, Middle Eastern; bit it seems that the roast to start it all is a traditional roast with all the sides.



I started with Jamie Oliver's, Mothership Lamb Roast. Which had my 2.5kg Leg of Lamb slow cooking for 4 hours! I was a little worried that the Lamb would dry out, but as the recipe said to cover it in foil, it kept it very moist

I made up my Rosemary, Garlic, Olive oil & Salt rub in my trusty Tupperware Turbo Chef. A must have in any kitchen! So, I gave the leg a nice little massage to get all the rosemary garlic goodness into the meat. Then covered it with foil & into the oven. And so then goes on the timer.




Back to work...





Now, as for the most amazing potatoes I have ever had...sorry Nanny. I had seen Heston make roast potatoes on his own show, and also on Masterchef. So there was no doubt to check out his recipe.










The key is oil. I don't really like to use so much oil, at all if I can help it, but it had to be done. If I was going all out with the Lamb, I really had to go all out with the potatoes...and to keep my husband very happy!
As for the Bean, Leek & Beetroot salad, well that was a Shelly DIY. I had leeks & Spinach that I got from my dads garden on the weekend, plus a few bits n pieces in the fridge. It was so good! Really good!






So I am quite pleased with my Lamb for a week. Super tender & juicy Lamb, Crunchy & fluffy nuggets of potato, and a sweet vinegary, caramelised bean, Leek & Beetroot Salad. Now, for the leftovers...







There is so much leftover! OMG! I thought I would have to freeze some lamb, but Rob assures me that it will definitely get eaten...








Mothership Roast Lamb

Ingredients:• 2 cloves garlic• Sprig of Rosemary• Olive oil• 1 Brown Onion• 1 x 2.5kg Leg of Lamb

Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°C/gas 3. In you Tupperware Turbo Chef, wizz 2 peeled garlic cloves, half the rosemary leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper, then wizz in a good lug of oil. Stab the lamb ten times, then stick your finger in each hole and massage the marinade in and all over. Peel and quarter the onions and place in a snug-fitting roasting tray (this is important), with the lamb on top. Add 50ml of water, cover tightly with tin foil and cook for 3 hours. Remove the foil (I forgot to), pour away all the fat and add another 200ml of water to the tray. Cook for 1 hour more, or until the meat falls away from the bone, adding another good splash of water, if it starts to dry out. Remove the lamb from the oven, transfer to a platter and cover. 





Mega Crunchy Roast Potatoes


Ingredients:
• Potatoes
• Olive Oil
• Salt

Preheat the oven to 180°C/160ÂșC fan/gas mark 4.

Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Put them in a bowl under running water for 5 minutes to wash the starch off.
Cover the potatoes with water in a large saucepan then add the garlic and rosemary, if using, and bring to the boil. Cook for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft and almost breaking apart. Drain carefully and leave to cool in the colander.
Meanwhile, pour 5 mm of olive oil into a roasting tray large enough to hold the potatoes in one layer. Place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes to preheat the oil.
Add the potatoes to the pan and coat them in the hot oil. Place the tray back in the oven for at least 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning the potatoes gently every 20 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy all over.
Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.



Warm Bean, Leek & Beetroot Salad


Ingredients:
• 1/4 Red Onion, sliced
• 2 Baby Leeks, cut into slivers
• Handfull Green Beans, cut into 2cm peices
• 50g Salami, chopped
• 1 Cup chopped Cabbage
• 2 Cups chopped Spinach
• 2 small beetroots
• Olive oil
• Salt & Pepper
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 cube Goats Cheese

Peel beetroot & roast in oven for 30mins.
Meanwhile, blanch Green Beans, Cabbage & Spinach in Hot water & set aside.
Heat a fry pan with some olive oil & ground cumin. Saute Leeks, Salami & Red onion until soft. Add Beans, Cabbage & Spinach. Season with Salt & Pepper.
Place vegetables in bowl & top with chopped beetroots & goats cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment